Friday, June 5, 2009

Parenting Decisions

I recently began talking to an old friend who has a baby boy about 1 1/2 months younger than Ian. Surprisingly we are making some of the same 'unpopular' parenting decisions. I still do not know why these decisions are unpopular. Recently, she opened up and vented to me. I completely understand where she is coming from, but I do not understand why people feel the need to critique our parenting style... we don't judge yours (unless of course, it hurts your child).

What am I talking about? Well, Stephen and I use cloth diapers. Yes, cloth. We also puree most of Ian's baby food. If we don't we buy organic baby food. We get no more than two vaccines at a time. Ian is breastfed (GASP!). We use attachment parenting (for the most part, not fully). I understand that not all parents make the same decisions. I do not think parents who chose other routes are bad parents. I don't understand why people feel the need to say anything about our parenting choices.

Cloth diapers. Oh, they are wonderful. We have a diaper service, so we do not wash his prefolds every day. We did for about 2 weeks, then decided it was way to much washing. When we are not using cloth diapers, we are using Seventh Generation diapers or Nature's Own (I think that's the brand). Both are eco-friendly companies. That is not the only reason we use cloth though. I also feel like it is more comfortable (yes, we do have to change diapers way more frequently. But to us, it's worth it). I also like the fit, we get no blowouts with cloth diapers! Plus, you can get lots of cute cloth diapers/diaper covers these days, gorgeous! And despite popular belief, they aren't really harder to use than disposables. They even make an all-in-one diaper, that is just like a disposable, but it is cloth. Amazing.

Moving on. All of our decisions are made for personal reasons. We thought out and researched everything (or I did and Stephen just trusted my decisions). I'm still taken back by why people are surprised about our decision to breastfeed. There are about 1 million benefits. 1) It is free. That's a big one. Babies are expensive. 2) It helps their immune systems. For example, I got the flu shot and Ian benefited (according to the pedi) because he was too young to get one. Also, I don't know why it's shocking, it's natural. The World Health Association suggests breastfeeding for AT LEAST two years. Plus, the mother-baby bonding is awesome. I understand that people choice formula. Luckily, I had no issues with milk supply. I understand that some people just don't want to breastfeed. Whatever. But quit saying things because I breastfeed, it drives me mad.

I'll quit ranting now. I could go on and on for hours and hours. I just needed to get some of that out of my system. I must go get dressed now before Ian wakes up from his nap. We need to put together a care package for Stephen's nephew (soon mine too!) to mail out. He's getting surgery on Monday, please keep him in your prayers.

Blog out. Or should I say, rant over.

8 comments:

  1. Nature's Own is a brand of bread... I'm just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, you are so right!! I change my mind: Earth's Best is the brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its also proven that women who breast feed have babies with higher IQs when they are older compared to babies who arent breast fed. So right on with making a smart baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont let opinions get to you....babies are diff, parents are diff, and that is OKAY. i admire you and stephen for researching what would be beneficial to Ian (and yourselves in the long run) instead of just having a baby, feeding it 'baby food' and using whatever walmart deems necessary. way to go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason I think I know who you are talking about! LOL! I was almost in tears the other day from one of my "friends" comments. Clynt has to calm me down because I get so upset. Grr... I read your blog to clynt and he was so excited for me. I dont have any friends who have made the same choices as me and I love that I now know someone who does!

    BTW-- we use Natures BabyCare diapers... Even the bag is made of cornstartch so it is 100% compostable and biodegradable other than the plastic attachment things, (I emailed them and they said that they are working on making cloth ones now)....They are the only brand that does all of this and I am with you on the research thing, because I went as far as to email the diaper company about them, and they called me and are sending me 2 packages free...

    Anyways, thank you for the blog, it made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natures BabyCare! That's what I was thinking of! My brain no longer functions properly.

    I'm glad I made your day. =] Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who is giving you a hard time? Want me to talk with them? I always say that to Lisa...drives her crazy...but I mean it...

    ReplyDelete